Thursday, September 26, 2013

My Time with The Samsung Galaxy S4 & Android 4.2.2 (Jellybean OS)

GS4
                           'An Interesting Device'

In today's mobile market, it goes without saying these are great times for the consumer.  You can buy just about anything smartphone or standard digital mobile phone with very good options overall.

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013, I took delivery and unboxed my first one on one experience with the Samsung Galaxy S4.  This very device and Android OS has allegedly turned the mobile community in a heated battle comparing Android OS to iOS and the claims of who is the KING of the mobile streets.  If you go by market share numbers alone, the simple fact is globally, the Android OS can be crowned the 'KING'!

Something to know upfront.  I have a long history with mobile technology and the mobile community having worked with AT&T Wireless in the early to mid 90's.  In addition, there are some prerequisites to know.  

1. Apple Inc. - A hardware and software company
                iOS is Apple's 'i = Innovative' mobile operating system

2. Samsung  - A hardware and software company
 Android is Google's mobile operating system

Love it or hate it, the Samsung Galaxy S4 is a device worth consideration.   I unwrapped the phone out of its wooden designed box and carefully inspected it.  The device has a very nice form and feels natural in the hands. 

We know all to well Samsung's tear on the mobile industry with its   5in. Mobile, 5.5in. Phablet, and soon to come 6.0in Phablet - all of which are smartphones.  Right or wrong, there seems to be a market for these devices.

Android OS (4.2.2) Jellybean, the current mobile OS is highly tuned poised to compete very well with [iOS, Windows Mobile OS, and Blackberry OS].  

Screen colors are vibrant and smooth.  I must admit, even in its default configuration, the colors are very attractive. Placing your finger on the display screen and swiping is met with a pleasing responsive experience. 

Phone quality (The talking part) is good.  I am not a talker, so my limited time using the Galaxy 4S (30 days) is spent on more important tasks; DATA!

It's all about the data.  [Facebook, texting, IG, KiK, Twitter, Google Maps, Internet browsing, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and all things Samsung has to offer with its many features...] Let me preface by saying you must choose the right network if you depend on the data. In this right up, I am not going to discuss which carrier is the best but I recommend you choose wisely or your overall experience will one of disappointment. 

--> Wi-Fi is solid, although I found its configuration quite cumbersome.

--> Texting is riddled with typo errors for the user - at least for me and although there is three types of texting techniques you can choose from, this is not a winner in my book.  Now I know why when I text people with these phones, they take an eternity to respond.

--> All social applications work as you would expect.

--> All the Samsung unique applications are gimmicks but gimmicks that work if you like them. I believe they're rarely used and become bloatware in my estimation. Take note of this one item. If you want to use the hand gesture swipe or the eye, head movement features from Samsung, you have to use their browser. These items do not work for Chrome or Firefox. 

--> Picture and video are both in HD and with a 13MPX camera the quality is decent. I have to admit I was looking for a little more than what was produced.  The photos were cloudy and yes I cleaned and already spotless lens. Not up to my expectations. 

--> Audio with the speaker on the back of the phone was a shocker!  I think that's a bad design. I have to say The HTC One got it right!  Front facing microphone, bravo. The sound quality is good but the alerts, tones, and other sounds when the phone is in use sound much better than the playing songs or videos. 

--> Battery life for my time with it was acceptable and was pleased to go almost a full day with need to recharge the device. I mention some days because there were days of using maps, texting, apps, and a few other items drained the battery real fast.  

--> I did not spend too much time with facial recognition or the other 5 ways to unlock your phone, so I kept it simple; swipe anywhere on the display and open the phone goes.  

--> What is tough to get used to is the powering up and down of the phone. It seems like an eternity you have to depress and hold the button to get the device to respond; power on or powering off. - Go figure it would differ from the phones Samsung competes with.  

I have to admit having fun with the phone. It was a pleasure to have a larger screen, vibrant colors and most of all, a new look and feel. You know, satisfying might be a better word to describe my experience because it just seemed natural.   No matter what Jon Ivy says!  'The New Cool' is a phone that measures in display anywhere from 4.7in - 5.0in. 

Did I just write 'The New Cool' is...  Yeah, I did. LOL

PS.  I trust The Galaxy S4 works and integrates much more seamless in other cars because in a BMW this is definitely not the case. 


...And "If you don't know, Now You Know!"

2 comments:

  1. Nice article. I'm starting to think battery is king. Can you go a full day with your iOS device with medium to heavy use without recharging? My old Galaxy Nexus' best friend is the charger under my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I would say, battery is KING in this world of powerful and feature rich smartphones.

    I put a medium load on my iOS device and can get a solid 7 hours without requiring a recharge.

    Medium load = email, YouTube, social apps, maps, browsing, limited camera use, music, iMessage, calendar, alerts on, and a few other core iOS apps.

    I am very happy with the iOS device and have no major complaints about its battery life although if you are a person who keeps their device on charge even at 50% and greater, beware!! Your device will require calibration because what I have observed is a potential 20% of capacity loss.

    Urban Legend? Battery and OS creates an artificial memory.

    ReplyDelete